Every group has them. Those times when you’re just short on people for whatever reason. Choirs and Praise Teams are organic. They’re constantly changing because the lives of their members are constantly changing. But regardless of how many people we have available on any given Sunday we must still be on our post. With that in mind every group needs songs you can do well no matter how short-handed you are. And since the biggest deciding factor of how well your group can do a song is usually how well you can do the harmony with what you have, I thought it would be great to have a list of songs that are either completely sung in unison are mostly sung in unison with very few sections that need harmony.
So I put the question to the family over on the fan page. These are the 10 best entries they came up with. Add several of these to your list and you’ll always have several songs to choose from that you know your group can do well no matter how short-handed any one section is. Some of these may be better for choir and some for praise team. For the most flexibility though I’d teach any song you choose to adopt to both groups if you have both. That way you’re never without a song you can sing no matter which group is short-handed.
Listed in no particular order, they are:
1. I Just Want To Praise You – Maurette Brown Clark
2. I need You To Survive – Hezekiah Walker
3. Every Praise -Hezekiah Walker
4. Only You/How Great Is Our God -Jonathan Nelson (These can also be treated as two separate songs)
5. Not Forgotten -Isreal Houghton
6. Your Presence Is Heaven -Isreal Houghton
7. The Reason Why I Sing – Kirk Franklin
8. And We Are Glad -Joe Pace
9. Precious Is The Blood -Joe Pace
10. Press In Your Presence -Shana Wilson